Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Horror Happens


Here is the first installment of a little section I have entitled, “Horror Happens.”
I encounter many news stories and blog entries and other random instances that seem horror-related, but are branded as otherwise. They are prime examples of how horror happens in the real world, not just on screen or in print.
I will refrain from including links about wars presently taking place, terrorism and President Bush as they just seem too obvious.

I have been amassing these pieces for the last week or two, so if a particular link does not work, let me know and I will try to find an alternate source.

- Firstly, we have all heard tales of China’s favored method of abortion (postpartum Glad bags). While this act has been done clandestinely, for the most part, it seems the government is openly approaching the overpopulation of dogs in a similar manner.
The pictures themselves are worth a thousand squirms.
China Orders Mass Slaughter of Dogs

- China makes headlines again. There are some people out there who might actually fall for the argument that this “communist” nation’s media piracy is their attempt to undermine Western capitalism. But someone please explain to me how this Eastern nation’s industrialization of corpses can even pretend to be anything other than a deal with the consumerist devil. Please.
China Turns Out Mummified Bodies for Displays

- The wording of this headline just cracks me up.
The story is pretty horrifying as well:
Teen Declared Dead Plans to Return to School

- Some sick and evil individual decided to leave a treat for some unsuspecting puppy in the park (all dogs are puppies – I don’t care what anyone says to the contrary).
Ham bites dog
Turns out the psycho was just enacting a Santeria ritual. Oh. That’s makes it totally okay, then.
God smites dog

- And here’s a baby-related item: If it’s just a picture, then it’s horrifyingly cute. If it’s dinner, then it’s just horrifying.
Baby corn… baby peas… baby carrots… baby?

- I was reading Consumerist when I came across this little piece. The poster image and headline (invoking “I Spit On Your Grave”) got my attention; however, neither had anything to do with the actual story.
I could not help but chuckle at the thought that the writer was unknowingly likening this instance of corporate evil to being gang-raped and humiliated by hillbillies, then seeking revenge by seducing them and murdering them in compromising sexual positions.
Then again, the article is about the Recording Industry Association of America.
I Spit on Your Grave

- The most horrifying episode of Fear Factor that I have ever seen was the family episode, during which pairs of precocious 10-year-olds and overbearing parents vied against one another, whilst throwing caution (and extremely bad language) to the wind. I was at a loss for words… even now I cannot explain how wrong this program was.
Fear Factor apparently feels differently – they want every child in America to face the same sort of emotionally scarring treatment, either by making them obese and diabetic or by forcing parents to react as the mother in this little anecdote did.
Kid Wants Fear Factor Pops; Mom Freaks Out

- And continuing with food-related items…
If you are squeamish about bugs, or vegan, food can be pretty (gross) in pink.
What’s In My Food?


That’s all for now.
To be posted soon (hopefully):
This week’s events (get ready to bleed your wallet dry - there are oooooodles of things to do)
A very belated review of “The Descent”
A somewhat belated review of “The Pulse”
A kind-of belated review of “Calvaire” & “Lunacy”
The Metropol experience

No comments: